Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Turban Fever

I really thought the whole turban trend would blow over quickly, but it seems to still be going strong. Then on the other hand, I suppose people that are not obsessed with fashion would think the Prada-like turbans look ridiculous. I'm not one of those people. Instead, I consume every fashion magazine and style blog that crosses my path, so I'm convinced that a giant turban looks great. That being said, I'm not sure if I'd have the guts to wear one out and about. We'll see...

In the following images, you will see that, after extensive research, I've found clear evidence that the turban craze is alive and well.

Prada's Spring 2007 RTW line started it all (note the jewel tones, variety of knots and the headband turbans):
Courageous style bloggers have purchased and styled their own turbans and have done quite well. The top image is from Style Bytes and the bottom from Style Bubble.

Topshop now has it's own version (pictured on the left). The Topshop turbans come in four colors and can be purchased online, which is good news for us Americans. Then there's Teen Vogue (yes, I read a teen magazine), which can't seem to get enough of Prada's turbans and headbands.
And of course, there's the celebrities who have incorporated the item into their personal style. Designer Rachel Roy paired hers with a black trench, while Ashley Olsen wore hers with Ray bans, cut-offs and pursed lips.
I personally am not willing to shell out $200+ to buy the Prada turban or even $30 for Topshop's, but I don't mind playing around with some of the scarves I do have! The following headscarf tying how-to is from the most recent issue of Jane. I thought I'd give it a go and ended up with something that looked pretty turban-esque.




1.) Hold up a folded scarf behind your head

2.) Tie it once at the top

3.) Crisscross the two ends, twist once and tie at the neck

4.) Adjust all around to make even

For other good scarf-tying instructions visit Tznius.

No comments: