Sunday, September 9, 2007

Not Very Vera

Vera Wang's Simply Vera line for Kohl's came out today. Although I haven't seen the clothes in person, I'm a little disappointed with the overall collection. It's not nearly as feminine as her RTW line and even some of the shoes and pants have a very suburban/Kohl's feel to them. I think the strongest pieces are her dresses (top left) and sleepwear (top right and middle row). There are a couple of long knitted gloves that I really like - although I don't know if I like them enough to spend $35. The shoes in the bottom right image are the only ones I liked. The rest of the shoes seemed kind of clunky or bland. Also, unlike Target's Go International or Steve and Berry's SJP Bitten line, Simply Vera has a higher price point than other clothing at Kohl's.


I actually really like this Simply Vera color block dress (left) even though - or maybe because - it reminds me of the dress Julie Andrews wears in the opening scene of The Sound of Music.


At first I thought these knitted items were neck warmers (which are very popular this year), but they're actually headbands. I really like how they're twisted and better yet, I really like how I can make one of these myself. I might not be able to knit a sweater, but a Simply Vera knitted headband knock-off should be no problem!


CL

5 comments:

Jacquelyn said...

You might want to check out the www.alteredcloth.com/blog for a very easy to make No-sew jersey scarf (August 14) inspired by the American Apparel jersey scarf. It's not a Vera Wang but with the right weight of jersey it could be lovely.

WendyB said...

Ha ha! I like your comparing the color block dress to the Sound of Music dress. Good observation.

Eli said...

how the heck are you supposed to wear those as headbands? I have no Kohls around me, dont think I will be checking this out.

Frasier said...

That reminds me ...I need to start on my winter knitting projects!
The only problem with Vera Wang at Kohls is that anyone and everyone will be wearing it!!

AsianCajuns said...

Thanks for the tip, mom! We'll have to add that to our list of favorite blogs. Thanks, wendyb, I'm quite proud of it myself. Eli, I have no idea how you're suppose to wear those - maybe like ear warmers or Prada headbands? Very good point, Frasypoo. I always see girls wearing the same stuff I get at Target all the time!