Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Man Tutus

Leave it to Miuccia Prada to send men wearing tutu-inspired skirts down the runway (worn over pants, thank goodness). There were only two tutus in the whole RTW Fall 08 Menswear collection, but the jock-strap/bikini inspired pants and bra-hooked shirts added to a kind of androgynous, cross-dressed look. Some might call it weird and over-the-top, I just call it tongue-in-cheek fashion.

Photos from Style.com

Prada's male tutus bring to mind Les Ballets Trockadero de Monte Carlo, an all-male ballet company that parodies classical ballets. The talented group defies convention by proving that males can dance en pointe (see photo below).

It seems to me that these male ballerinas (who wear real tutus and extra-wide pointe shoes) actually look very masculine when compared to the Prada male models in the photos above, but perhaps I'm just splitting hairs...

CL

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you aware, my friend, that you are now number TWO when I google Asian Cajuns? At this point, you have merely to burn down that damn bistro and googlory will be yours.

Andrew

Eli said...

this is almost as bad as heels for men

Alya said...

Tongue in cheek runway stunt? Yes.
Wearable menswear fashion? No. Unless the dude is going to a costume party.

Secretista said...

I must agree with eli.

AsianCajuns said...

Thanks for the tip Andrew, but I think we'll be better off if we just wait for our popularity grow the good old-fashion google way - more hits!

Eli and Secretista, I think most men would agree!

Pomegranate, yep. I can't imagine someone actually wearing a Prada tutu seriously.

Lynn said...

ROTFLMAO!!!

Unknown said...

haha wow.

L.I.N said...

i like tutus. but definitely not on men.