Saturday, April 12, 2008

Scarf-band. Yea or Nay?


I've been a big fan of scarves as head-wear for a long time: folded into a kerchief triangle, wrapped around my head and tied at the nape, and a short-lived sock-hop phase tied around the ponytail. Not all good, admittedly, but that doesn't curb my enthusiasm for new styles. Hence the rambo-like trial run above.

Well, Mr. Stallone looks taken aback, but I think it's because he forgot his bangles and fringed accessories. (photo courtesy of Star Pulse).

The scarf-band (does this trend have a more legitimate name?) is meant to look resurrected-boho rather than Sylvester, but you tell me, are you guys going to try it? Do you think it works when paired with Minnetonkas and a flowy dress?
I couldn't find any good full blown boho outfit photos to support my case, but Free People is charging $24 for their rambo scarves (I got mine from my Aunt Lizzie for free... vintage love):


Both scarves from Free People. I think both of these ladies look lovely, but I particularly wish I had Ms. Right-hand photo's textured, golden curls to hold my head-scarf in place.

LL

17 comments:

Clare said...

I have my minnetonkas and my headbands with me always...i think it works...its perfect for davis and biking because it keeps the hair out of your face. Both the boys and the girls rock it out. I like wearing them with a baggy shirt and some short shorts or a cute dress. You look amazing btw! I love it!

tam pham said...

rambo-style looks GREAT on you!!!

Style On Track said...

You know what is hillarious!? I just watched the new Rambo last night! So i am tottaly feeling your whole rambo scarf right now.

I don't think it is yay on everyone, but it is definitly yay on you :)

Ane said...

i think that the scarf looks great on you!

Stephanie said...

I'm not being a suck up, but I think you could pull it off. But in fairness, I've never actually seen some one do it in person. Only pictures in mags and stuff.

Although on Making The Band, Aubrey O'day wore one and I thought she looked foolish.

Danika said...

I think it works well, your hair is really dark and flowing which pairs well with a headscarf. It will probably look awesome with the minnetonkas, because that's the kind of look you have to go all the way with.

Jill said...

I think sometimes it can look too 'done', if you know what I mean, but I really like it on you. It looks natural.

WendyB said...

Yay! You look cute.

ellastica said...

depending on the pattern and fabric it can look tacky a la axel rose or classy in the vein of Jackie O.

i'm no fashion expert but i think with a narrower width like yours it could be brought up a bit to reveal more of your face. otherwise, the pattern and colors are great on you.

vintage or hand-made fabrics really make the best head-gear!

Romany said...

Definitely 'Yay'.
You have beautiful eyes, by the way. Sorry, I can't help complimenting people sometimes.
Romany
xx

Secretista said...

I envy those who can pull the look off. I can't... :(

Lynn said...

Definitely a yay. I love bandanas and headbands, very refreshing, tho I do know how it feels like bandana slipping off cause the hair just aint working with you.

You look very boho chic fantastic!

Yas said...

def. looks cool on you!

Unknown said...

i'm probably not going to dabble in the headband look; too nicole richie for me. i love minnetonkas though.

geri hirsch said...

i like!

AsianCajuns said...

Awww thanks for the boho support guys! I will attempt the look again once I complete it with the requisite outfit... stay tuned!

Nicole Then said...

cool post! nice head band