Monday, May 18, 2009

Tracy Feith, Where Have You Been All My Life?



So I know I just finished yapping about spending money and doing good at the same time (sweet, sweet Toms), but I disregarded that completely when I stumbled into Target Sunday afternoon.

I had completely given up on the recent GO International lines at Target, and wasn't paying proper attention to May's line by designer Tracy Feith (Mr. Feith, why do you not have a proper website? I would link you right here if you did. Thus furthers your mystique- see below).

Apart from this nonsensical dress (seriously, a bubble hem this short?), I also happily plunked down my credit card for a surfer cardi and another, more sensible, white dress with a zip down the front.

Dress above, not from GO International can be purchased here (by people with $800 spare change). That's Mr. Feith himself to the right of the dress.

If someone had told me about this surfer dude/designer who lives in Manhattan by way of Texas is doing Target's next line, I would have passed. If McQueen didn't cut it, no one will! Oooo how wrong I was!

I know Mrs. Obama wore a Tracy Feith concoction for the post-inaugural prayer service, and Carrie Bradshaw favored him, but his name gets lost in the millue of a million other smaller designers I will never be able to afford.



Well, cheers to you, Mr. Feith! I have since ransacked the racks of my local Target and scoured any fashion site that sells your real label (just to have a look-see), as I'm sure many a lady and gent will after encountering your delightful designs.

Alas, I want more! Who is the man behind these boldly patterned, whimsical designs? Is he the stateside version of Matthew Williamson? Also, his reputation as a surfer baffles me: Texas and Manhattan seem poor surfer lifestyle choices. And how does a former surfer design clothes that are worn by fashion icons and still not have a wikipedia page?! Anyone else know about Mr. Feith? If so, do tell.

31 comments:

Lesley said...

That dress is super cute! I have to go to Target soon to check out the collection!

JuliaFuentes said...

love the dress

Margaret Meyer said...

Cute! I hope it's not windy in Atlanta!

yiqin; said...

So pretty! The shoes dress really go so well together!

Sharon S said...

Hi there-you look totally wonderful my dear, the dress was a great buy!

Lainey said...

Yeah, I heard the line was really good. Perhaps even better than the McQueen for Target line. I love the bubble dress on you. It's so adorable.

Unknown said...

Good lord that dress is cute!

Fashion Cappuccino said...

Wow, I didn't know that their next go line is out already! I was a little disappointed with Mcqueen line since I felt it didn't live up to the hype. I hope this collaboration is better! You look very cute in those fringe boots! xxoxxo

Emily Kennedy said...

I saw his line at Target on Saturday here in Kansas and it was all that I had hoped, but more!

The thing that astounded me was how some of the fabrics were actually substantial for once! The designs are gorgeous; perfect for spring. Also I have kind of a crush on his labels. They are so cool. I am totally in love.

Shen-Shen said...

Ahhh what an awesome dress! You're right, a little short, but I've never been one to give a shit. I love your booties too!

And that is a little odd that he doesn't yet have a Wikipedia page.. But I suppose that adds to his mysteriousness!

Anonymous said...

Don't know a thing about the designer, but now I'll DEFINITELY have to check out his Target line!

kittenmasks said...

I'm not a huge fan of prints, but this looks so cute. Also, I'm a fan of men with female names: Ashley, Morgan, etc.

Anonymous said...

Cute dress.. I love bubble hems! Your post made me smile with the detective work about him. Great job.. and good points that you raised. Since I like surfer types, I think he's cute (if he did some beard trimming)! Thanks for sharing. I'll now have to do some digging on my own. :)

xo, Becs

Ace said...

Lets see that rest!

Anonymous said...

cute! o and i got the red Le Sac dress from AA. its cute!!!

greenjeans said...

Cool gear! Anyone who rocks a blond beard and chambray shirt is good in my book. Point to you, Mr. Feith.

Maeko said...

You're my height, and I want your legs.

Okay, thank you for listening.

Aline said...

you are so lucky that you got your hands on that beauty!!!!

you look amazing....it is perfect with those boots!

Patricia S. said...

Cute dress! love it! :)

FrouFrouu said...

Such lovely warm colours, what a gorgeous print. You look fab. P.s Wikipedia sucks!

. said...

Such a cute floral dress!

liliesandgrapes.blogspot.com

Angela said...

LOVE the dress. you looks so cute.

LenoreNeverM♡re said...

You look so beautiful darling! Got to check out this line... Great NEW week to both XO*

indigotangerine said...

i could never wear anything that short, but it's adorable, all fluffy and floral summery goodness.
-indigo

paanie said...

ha, ha. you're too funny. i've heard of his name, but sadly do not know more than you've told. you should take heart that you're informing people about his talent though!

ambika said...

You look adorable and it's perfect with the boots.

Unknown said...

that floral dress is just too perfect!!

Anonymous said...

Cute/fun dress and it looks great with those boots! I love that $800 dress too!

http://www.wreckedstellar.wordpress.com

littleraindrops said...

nice nice dress..
really love ur stye =D
so fresh

boubou said...

Love the first dress !!
boubou xx

Alisa said...

Whoa, just stumbled upon this accidentally---
I used to work for Tracy, and to answer your question about his surfer-dude-ness and such: he spent a lot of his time in LA, which is where he started designing. He opened his first store in Manhattan a little over 10 years ago, but this store unfortunately closed last September. Nowadays he spends a lot of time (surfing) in Montauk. The only store he currently runs is in Williamsburg, Brooklyn. You'd be amazed at the size of the bookshelves lined with old books and vintage magazines, from which he also gathers his inspiration. He's sort of been coasting under the radar this whole time, which is odd because the likes of Christie Turlington, Kelly Bensimon, and Paris Hilton have worn his stuff, and it's been featured in Vogue. Who knows, maybe we'll see him at Fashion Week someday soon?

Hope that helped de-mystify him a bit!